Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos on Wednesday announced a $2 billion philanthropic fund to finance a new network of preschools and contribute to nonprofits assisting homeless families.
Bezos said on Twitter that the schools would be located in underserved communities and would be operated by his new Bezos Day One Fund.
“We’ll use the same set of principles that have driven Amazon,” he said in his statement. “Most important among those will be genuine, intense customer obsession. The child will be the customer.”
Bezos, who Forbes estimates is worth $163 billion, is the wealthiest person in modern history. The announcement comes as the Amazon founder is visiting the capital for a speech at The Economic Club of Washington on Thursday.
— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) September 13, 2018
He and his wife, MacKenzie, recently made their first major political donation, giving $10 million to a super PAC dedicated to helping veterans in both parties get elected to Congress.
In his Thursday announcement, Bezos said that the new fund would issue annual leadership awards to civic groups helping homeless families.
A spokeswoman for Amazon did not offer further details on the new project.
- Sacombank-SBR launches promotions to thank customers
- Customer service as the brand ambassador
- Bounce launches first e-scooter, price starts at INR 68,999
- Comcast And Disney Reach Carriage Deal, Adding ACC Network To Xfinity
- Microsoft-owned LinkedIn launches in Hindi to reach 500 million users
- Amazon unveils AWS Cloud WAN for geographically dispersed networks
- ‘Chucky’ Renewed for Season 2 at USA Network, Syfy
- FSS launches UPI eVoucher to advance financial inclusion
- StarHub launches $150k customer giveaway until end of year
- Bounce Infinity Launched In India At Rs 36,000
- Cisco launches digitalisation programme
- Vodafone to Launch 4G VoLTE Services in January
- Boom Motors aims to sell one lakh units; to strengthen dealership network
- Jeep Grand Cherokee And Wrangler Unlimited Launched In India; Prices Start At Rs. 71.59 Lakh
- New Volkswagen Tiguan Launched In India At Rs 31.99 Lakh
- Why is child care so expensive?
- Elon Musk now controls more than a third of all active satellites as SpaceX breaks rocket launch record
- Nest updates Cam, connects third-party devices through Thread network
Bezos to launch network of preschools: 'The child will be the customer' have 347 words, post on thehill.com at September 13, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.