The organisers of the 25th anniversary Foyle Pride Festival have described this year’s celebration of all things lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) as a ‘rollercoaster ride’ and one of its biggest turnouts ever.
The Foyle Pride Committee thanked everyone who attended a packed programme of gigs, film screenings, theatre peformances, and talks, which culminated with the annual parade on Saturday and the Pride Ball on Sunday night.
“It’s been an incredible week, with incredible people, incredible support and incredibly emotional,” the committee said.
“It has been one of the biggest ‘Prides’ in our history. As such we’re taking a break for a few days but thank you to everyone who said kind words, bought badges, came to the events, sponsored the festival, shared our posts and photos, got in contact and volunteered, left cards, walked and cheered in the parade, all the cars who honked at us for support, for all the smiles from local staff in businesses when we’ve been getting teas and coffees to keep us going, and generally stood up for the LGBTQ community,” added the organisers.
This year the Derry tradtion of embracing the ‘Pride’ ethos continued with former civil rights leaders of the 1960s leading the parade on Saturday and the PSNI even decking their Land Rovers out in the rainbow colours.
“No amount of words can truly express the feelings of joy and gratitude that we have experienced this past week. It’s been a rollercoaster year organising it, as well as dealing with the political upheaval for not just LGBTQ rights but for civil rights in general.”
- Life is a Rollercoaster - Hold On and Enjoy the Ride
- Spanish Fiestas and Festivals: Join the Non-stop Celebration
- Vacation With the Islanders: Caribbean Festivals
- Presenting: Toronto's WinterCity Festival - Culinary Treats, Arts and Entertainment
- Traveling in Mexico: The Guelaguetza Festival in Oaxaca
- Views of Women in Pride and Prejudice
- Marketing Your Art Though Art Shows and Festivals
- Summer Festivals in Keystone Colorado - The Definitive Guide
- Hotels in Tokyo - Festivals and Activities
- Lantern Festival - Celebration for Some, Torture for Some
- Montreal Jazz Festival - For Lovers of Jazz Music!
- Edinburgh's Military Tattoo: One Of The City's Most Historic Festivals
- On the Road From Pride to Humility and the Journey in Between
- Follow the Stars to the Cannes Film Festival!
- Kumbh Mela Festival in India
- The Festive List Saves the Day
- Unsecured Christmas Loans For Financing The Festivity!
- Pride and Prejudice Can Be Healed and Melted Away
Rollercoaster ‘Pride’ as festival turns 25 have 405 words, post on www.derryjournal.com at August 28, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.