SIR John Major stepped up calls for a second EU referendum yesterday – claiming another vote is “morally justified”. He predicted Britain will “crash out without a deal” because hardline Brexiteers would refuse to back Theresa May’s soft Brexit plans. He said a second referendum would be “morally justified” because the “people who have least are going to be hurt most”. His call for a another vote directly contradicts his comments before the June 2016 referendum, when he said a second vote wouldn’t be “politically credible” adding: “If we vote to stay out, then we are out and we will have to get on with it.” But yesterday Europhiles jumped on his rallying cry – with senior Tory rebel Dominic Grieve telling Sky News that a second referendum “may be the only solution”. In an interview on the Andrew Marr Show yesterday Sir John sneered at Brexit voters by saying the “pie in the sky” arguments in favour of leaving were as credible as believing the “earth is flat”. Asked if he backed a second referendum, Sir John said: “It has downsides. I mean, frankly, a second vote has democratic downsides. It has difficulties. “But is it morally justified? I… Read full this story
- Nigel Farage rubbishes calls for a second EU referendum as petition calling for one gets 3m signatures
- Sir John Major sparks fury by declaring Brexit cannot be decided by ‘tyranny of the majority’
- Vince Cable slaps down Lib Dem leader Tim Farron‘s plans for second EU referendum
- Tony Blair, Sir John Major and Gordon Brown back David Cameron’s frantic final call for Brits to stay in EU
- Labour shows it still has not accepted Brexit as it votes in favour of having second EU referendum at party conference
- Could there really be a second EU referendum and overrule the vote for Brexit?
- Sneering Tony Blair sparks outrage for suggesting Brits should have SECOND EU referendum
- Leave Voters do not have buyers regret about the EU referendum, says poll
- MPs to discuss demands for a second EU referendum just 10 weeks since the historic vote for Brexit
- Unelected peers in House of Lords plot to block Brexit and force a second EU referendum
Sir John Major steps up calls for second EU referendum saying another vote is ‘morally justified’ have 359 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 22, 2018. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.