The mid-engined Corvette is coming – eventually. We’ve seen spy photos of the supercar as early as 2016 , but new footage leads us to believe that it could arrive in just a few months. The latest prototypes, captured on camera in Colorado, show the upcoming Corvette testing alongside its current ZR1 sibling.
The video, uncovered by CorvetteBlogger , shows two heavily camouflaged prototypes on public roads in Leadville, Colorado. At 10,152-feet up, it’s the perfect proving ground for high-altitude testing. The near-four-minute clip shows the supercars briefly – most of their time spent hidden by the ZR1 – but it provides more evidence of the Corvette’s imminent arrival.
Corvette C8 Officially Revealed:
Last time we saw footage of the mid-engined Corvette was in June . That clip showed the coupe coming to a complete stop before chirping its tires and sprinting off multiple times. That particular prototype appeared to use a naturally aspirated V8 instead of one of its rumored turbocharged powertrains. It’s unclear which powertrains are being used in this particular video.
Reports suggest the mid-engined Corvette will come with three different options. The first will be a 6.2-liter V8 producing around 460 horsepower (343 kilowatts). The second will be a version of the biturbo 4.2-liter V8 from the new Cadillac CT6 V-Sport. In that application, it could produce up to 650 hp (485 kW). The final engine option could be a range-topping biturbo 5.5-liter V8 pumping out up to 850 hp (634 kW).
It’s still not clear when the new mid-engined Corvette will show up, but rumors point to a 2019 debut with an on-sale date of 2020. If we’re lucky, we could see it this January at the Detroit Auto Show . Buyers that still want a Corvette with a V8 in the front can buy one after the 2018 model year; Chevy will continue production of the current model with a few variations.
Source: Coloradocarsdogsanddrones / YouTube, Via CorvetteBlogger
Gallery: 2020 Mid-Engined Chevy Corvette Spy Photos
- Early Mid-Engine Corvette Design Sketches Show A Different Vehicle
- This Early Mid-Engine Corvette Design Sketch Looks Better Than C8
- What If The Mid-Engine Corvette Were Retro-Inspired By The '57 Model?
- C8 Corvette Caught On Video Testing At The Nurburgring
- Armada Of Mid-Engined Chevy Corvettes Spied Testing In 5 Videos
- 2020 Mid-Engined C8 Corvette Allegedly Leaks In Full
- Mid-Engined C8 Chevy Corvette ZR1 Rendered Imagining Future Performer
- Mid-Engined Chevy Corvette Z06 May Wear Huge Rear Wing
- Mid-Engined Chevy Corvette Rear End Design Possibly Leaked
- Chevy Corvette Z06 C8 Could Rival Porsche 911 GT2 RS On Track
- 'World's Largest Corvette Dealer' Hosts C8 East Coast Debut
- 2020 Corvette Convertible Order Banks Are Officially Open
- GM Patent App Suggests Variable Geometry Spoiler For C8 Corvette
- 2021 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 prototype caught on camera sounding like race car with special V8
- C8 Chevrolet Corvette Fleet Spied With GM President In Passenger Seat
- C8 Corvette Exhaust Compilation Vid Is A V8 Symphony Of What's To Come
- First 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray auctioned for $3 million
- New Chevy Corvette Z06 Plays Its Sweet V8 Tune On Camera
Mid-Engined Corvette Caught On Video Again, This Time With A ZR1 have 536 words, post on www.motor1.com at July 23, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.