Brown endorses Newsom – ‘a guy with really nice hair’
Gavin Newsom holds huge lead over John Cox in California governor’s race, poll finds
By Alexei Koseff
July 25, 2018 09:00 PM
Gavin Newsom, the Democratic lieutenant governor, holds a commanding lead over his Republican rival, businessman John Cox, in the race to be California’s next governor, according to the Public Policy Institute of California.
In a new poll released Wednesday, 55 percent of likely voters favored Newsom, compared to 31 percent who would pick Cox. More than three months before the November election, only 9 percent of respondents were still undecided.
Mark Baldassare, president and CEO of PPIC, said Democrats quickly coalesced around Newsom after an open, and sometimes bitter, primary in which millions of them voted for other major candidates, like former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and state Treasurer John Chiang. About 86 percent of Democratic likely voters in the poll supported Newsom, significantly narrowing the path forward for Cox’s underdog campaign.
“The electorate is so polarized,” Baldassare said. “Cox has equally solid support among Republicans, but there are many more Democrats than Republicans in the electorate these days.”
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you’ll never miss a local story.
Californians registered with no party preference surpassed Republicans in May to become the second-largest voting bloc in the state, behind Democrats. Independent likely voters in the PPIC poll favored Newsom over Cox, 44 percent to 31 percent.
The results are similar to PPIC’s July poll from the 2014 gubernatorial election, when Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown led Republican Neel Kashkari among likely voters, 52 percent to 33 percent, with 11 percent of respondents undecided. Brown ultimately won that election with 60 percent of the vote.
Do you know who’s working for you?
We are. Let reporters at The Sacramento Bee serve as your guide to how the big decisions push us forward – or hold us back.
- We explain how Capitol dealmaking affects your pocketbook, your job and your family.
- We hold California politicians and state agencies accountable with watchdog reporting.
- We deliver vital information to help you decide how to vote.
Stay informed. Take advantage of a 99-cents offer for your first month of access to The Sacramento Bee.
Despite holding a 24-point lead, Newsom’s team played down the poll.
“Our campaign isn’t taking anything for granted, and we will continue to work hard to get our message out between now and Election Day,” spokesman Nathan Click said in a statement.
Likely voters in the Inland Empire supported Cox over Newsom, and the candidates were nearly tied among Central Valley respondents, but Newsom racked up large margins in Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area and Orange and San Diego counties.
Cox has focused his message to voters on repealing the recent gas tax increase and other affordability issues, making an appeal to “forgotten Californians” who feel left behind the government’s dominant Democrats.
Related stories from Sacramento Bee
“July polls are a name ID beauty contest,” spokesman Matt Shupe said in a statement. “The fact is John Cox wasn’t supposed to make it into this run-off for Governor. He isn’t part of the political class and wasn’t supposed to beat a former LA Mayor, or the State Treasurer. But we have all seen Gavin Newsom attacking John Cox publicly and that’s because his polls are showing what ours show, that the race is actually much closer, and that Newsom has high negatives.”
- To save youth football, California bill would limit tackling
- Is Kamala Harris next to go?: California Democrat on brink of exiting presidential race after firing dozens of campaign staff and dropping to three per cent in the polls
- The History of Corvette Racing
- Take 5 With John Force
- FMIA: Amazing, crazy games lead to Rams-Patriots Super Bowl; Tom Brady: ‘We’ll Remember This Forever’
- Earnhardt already a fan favorite after debut race in booth
- The Car Guy’s Car Guy: Remembering John “Kiwi” Kiewicz, 1970-2015
- The Honda Rides Again – ChumpCar World Series Racing
- North Andover boys’ basketball grabs early lead, closes out Andover
- Huge Muscle Car Turnout for 2017 San Marino Motor Classic
- Arnie Beswick: Drag Racing’s Consummate Underdog
- The Racing Classics by Dick Wallen
- Zanardi defies disability to inspire racing’s biggest stars
- Dallas Stars finding their road legs through 20 games
- Fatal Indy 500 Crash Mars 1958 American Auto Racing
- Francesco Molinari in four-way tie for the Masters lead as Tiger Woods revives the roar to move one behind
- Francesco Molinari in five-way tie for the Masters lead as Tiger Woods revives the roar to move one behind
- Can speed save Ben Simmons until he finds his shot?
Gavin Newsom holds huge lead over John Cox in California governor’s race, poll finds have 1352 words, post on www.sacbee.com at July 24, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.