The hit 1980 comedy “9 to 5” is coming back and the film’s original female trio of Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton are all on board.
Rumors of a reboot began in February but Fonda confirmed the new movie this week, clarifying that it will be a sequel rather than a remake.
Fonda will also be executive producer on the sequel and is working with 20th Century Fox on the project, according to the Hollywood Reporter. There is no set release date for the movie.
“Right now, Dolly, Lily and I are all intending to be in it,” Fonda said.
In the original film, we follow the antics of Judy Bernly (Fonda), Violet Newstead (Tomlin) and Doralee Rhodes (Parton), three female employees who turn the tables on a their sexist, lying and egotistical boss, played by Dabney Coleman.
Fonda says she’s optimistic about the sequel, which is being developed in the thick of the #MeToo movement.
The script is being written by Rashida Jones and Pat Rosnick. Themes similar to those that appeared in the original — chauvinism, misogyny and harassment — are expected to be brought to life again nearly 40 years later.
Fonda hinted at the possibility of fresh topics, such as new technology and corporate voyeurism, appearing in the sequel.
“Today a lot of the work force is hired by an outside company,” Fonda says. “Who do you talk to if you have a problem?”
Fonda said the modern workplace situation is worse today than it was in the ‘80s, but says she does think sexual harassment is declining as “guys are scared.”
“9 to 5” is still one of the highest grossing box office comedies of all time, with an adjusted gross haul of $356 million, the Hollywood Reporter states. The movie inspired a short-lived TV series and a 2009 Broadway musical with a score from Parton.
- Chris Avellone Divinity: Original Sin 2 As Writer
- Tom Cruise, 57, beams as he boards a helicopter with a mystery blonde to replicate his Top Gun role with a ride over London
- Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin rocket makes 10th flight test
- Divinity: Original Sin 2's GM mode brings pen and paper RPGs to the screen
- Love Actually sequel: Andrew Lincoln reunites with 'best friend' Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Anupama Parameswaran to romance Nikhil Siddharth in Karthikeya sequel?
- Florida Poly Foundation Board brings student and alumni to the table
- Love Island bosses PULL advert featuring Caroline Flack and replace it with original teaser... after former host quit amid assault charge
- Origin Access offers up new premium Premier tier
- 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Sequel Adds Danny Devito to Cast
- 'Jumanji' Sequel 'Officially Underway,' Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Says
- Channing Tatum: Magic Mike sequel inspired by 'mob mentality' of strippers' conventions
- Eddie Murphy Confirmed to Return for 'Coming to America 2'
- 7 games that look ancient compared to their sequels
- Marvel's Spider-Man Fan Poster Hypes Up Sequel Possibilities
- 'Hum Tum' stars Saif Ali Khan, Rani Mukerji on board 'Bunty Aur Babli 2'
- Amazing Jumanji Fan-Made Board Game Actually Works
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Awkwafina Joins 'Jumanji' Sequel, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Confirms
'9 to 5' sequel confirmed with original trio on board have 497 words, post on www.watermarkonline.com at July 26, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.