Jamie L. LaReau Detroit Free Press Published 9:26 p.m. UTC Jun 21, 2018 The car business is male turf, with women composing only about a quarter of the workforce. That figure won’t be changing anytime soon judging by the reaction to a recent Free Press story I reported about sexism in the car business. The responses, mostly from men, to the story, ”Strip Clubs, stupidity: Boys club lingers in the car business,” ranged from insulting dismissal to downright rage. Read more: The negative reaction isn’t surprising. I’ve been reporting business news for more than 20 years. When I started covering the futures markets in Chicago in 1998, open outcry still reigned on the trading floors. I went daily to the trading floor in the Chicago Mercantile Exchange to write a market report. It was nearly all men there, and while I met some of the best and most professional men of my career, I also met some of the worst. It was a hotbed for harassment. Two years later, I covered Wall Street in New York and dealt with a similar crowd. So when one of the emails I got in reaction to my Free Press story patronizingly told me to: “Try to up your game, baby cakes,” I chuckled. The sexist insult was mild compared with what I experienced during… Read full this story
- Whitney Way Thore Allegedly Receives Hate Mail from a Doctor Who Calls Her a 'Big Fat Pig'
- Wine, cars: businesses go online as virus hits trade shows
- 'Mario Kart' Fans Sent Stormy Daniels Hate Mail After Trump Comments
- Skoda India mulls foray into pre-owned car business
- Everyone hates California’s self-driving car reports
- Investor group warns 63 large firms over gender imbalance
- Tackling gender inequality 'could add £10tn to world economy'
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 4
- UK unprepared for surge in electric car use, thinktank warns
- Trump’s populist revolt could put the brakes on self-driving cars
Hate mail reinforces the gender divide in the car business have 323 words, post on eu.freep.com at June 20, 2018. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.