The Volkswagen Golf is undoubtedly one of Wolfsburg’s many pride and joys, and as far as performance-oriented hatches go, it hardly gets better than the Golf GTI and R. Now in its Mk7.5 facelift guise, there are a few visual and mechanical changes that come with them, but which is more worth your money?
The Golf GTI is a car many consider to be the ideal all-in-one; it’s immensely quick, nimble and practical at the same time. It’s now on sale for RM225,888 with zero-rated GST. For the more avid enthusiast, the Golf R is RM53,000 dearer at RM278,888 (also without GST). With 60 PS and 30 Nm more over the GTI, just how can the price difference be justified?
Well, all will be answered soon. Find out what we think of the Golf GTI and R Mk7.5 facelift in the video above, and let us know what you think of our verdict. Also, we’re thinking of pitting the Golf R against some other high-profile hatches, like the FK8 Civic Type R for example. Fancy some octane-filled Driven episode, anyone? 😉
GALLERY: 2018 Volkswagen Golf R Mk7.5
GALLERY: 2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk7.5
- What do No Deal tariffs REALLY mean? Volkswagen Golf to cost £2k more and steak £2 more
- Ask the experts: What features are best for driving through snow?
- Perspective: Driving Distance Report teases with figures, but ruling bodies’ take on distance is yet to be revealed
- USGA and R&A's Annual Driving Distance Report shows pros hit it farther in 2018
- Masters Week TV Schedule: From Drive Chip & Butt to Butler Cabin
- Masters Week TV Schedule: From Drive Chip & Putt to Butler Cabin
- Shackelford: Rise of 'backstopping' drives at integrity of golf
- Under Armour brings running shoe cushioning to golf with HOVR Drive
- Suzy Whaley sets the bar in women’s college golf with Tar Heel Classic
- Big Week for Women’s Golf, but Perhaps Not for Progress