Welcome to Bloomberg Opinion Today, an afternoon roundup of our opinions on business, politics, markets, technology and more. New subscribers can sign up here. ICYMIStocks meandered. Trump tried to double Amazon’s postage costs. A farm bill failed in the House.Time to Talk About Gun LawsTen people died in a Texas school shooting today, and another 10 were wounded.Those numbers are grievous, and they add to grievous milestones. This was: America’s 16th school shooting this year, by the Washington Post’s count, the most in any year since 1999, with seven months to go; The deadliest school shooting since the one in Parkland, Florida – which only happened on February 14, unbelievably; The 101st mass shooting 1 this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive.The people currently running the country – namely, President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and most importantly the National Rifle Association – quickly offered thoughts, prayers and a denunciation of “evil.” What they didn’t offer were solutions.But there are plenty of solutions on the table. And most Americans support them, even if the people leading them don’t, note Bloomberg’s editors, citing a newAmerican Public Health Association poll.Here are some more numbers, from that survey: 87.8 percent of Americans (including gun owners) want universal background checks;… Read full this story
- A Gun Controversy
- Mandatory Gun Insurance Hurts The Good Guys
- Trudeau tries to shift focus from brownface images to gun control
- Analysis: Did Walmart just change the gun debate?
- More than €1m spent on PR for controversial Children's Hospital
- O'Rourke, Buttigieg Spar Over Gun Buyback Program
- Strictly's Dianne Buswell and Dev Griffin make first appearance since controversial exit... as dancer admits she's 'upset' for her ballroom partner
- Controversial billionaire matchmaker describes the five types of men you should NEVER date
- Playing for Keeps star Madeline West reveals what she REALLY thinks about Melbourne football WAGs like Rebecca Judd and Nadia Bartel
- Pharrell explains how 'Blurred Lines' controversy helped him realize 'we live in a chauvinist culture'
The Gun Controversy Is Smaller Than You Think have 323 words, post on www.bloomberg.com at May 17, 2018. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.