On the first anniversary of the Free National Movement’s coming to office, its leader, Prime Minister Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis outlined significant achievements and plans for the way ahead. The FNM, which became the governing party following the May 10, 2017, General Election, celebrated the year in a church service at Living Waters Kingdom Ministries, Warren Street, Oakes Field. “We meet in thanksgiving and praise to Almighty God for his abundant blessings as we celebrate the first anniversary of the Free National Movement’s re-election to office on 10 May, last year,” the Prime Minister said.
“Amidst our challenges, I can report to you that we remain steadfast in our vision. We are making progress on many fronts,” he said. “The Bahamas will be a better country because of the mandate the people of The Bahamas have given us.” Some of the notable achievements he pointed out are that economic growth has returned to The Bahamas. The economy, he said, grew by 1.4 percent last year, and is projected to grow by 2.5 percent this year. “There has been a significant reduction in murders, and an overall drop in crime,” he said. “While we have to see what happens over the longer term, crime is down in New Providence.” “It is a vision of hope and opportunity. It is a vision to improve the lives of citizens and residents, who are often on the margins of society,” the Prime Minister said. “Addressing poverty requires ideas and strategies for social and economic mobility,” he added.
The Prime Minister also stated that the FNM’s agenda for economic development and growth would be done in tandem with a comprehensive social agenda that will:
– increase home ownership;
“My administration will lead one of the most ambitious efforts in our history to reduce obesity and improve nutrition. This includes addressing the high rate of childhood obesity in our country,” which was another goal announced by the Prime Minister. “We are addressing corruption, which retards national development and progress,” he added. And, Grand Bahama is at the heart of the Government’s agenda to boost economic growth and reduce unemployment, the Prime minister announced. “There are exciting plans for the economic recovery of Grand Bahama, especially in tourism. Freeport is set to become a regional tech hub. Just last week we announced a $50 million dollar investment for Freeport,” he said. The Prime Minister further mentioned other successes stating: “Our national security team is having success in the crime fight; we are transforming the electricity network and tackling other longstanding issues; we are leading a revival of Over-the-Hill communities; we will lead the recovery of Grand Bahama, and bring new opportunities to the Family Islands; we are cleaning up corruption in government; we are embarked on one of the most ambitious social transformation efforts in our nation’s history.”
- Spanish prime minister calls snap general election for April 28
- The Prime Minister's full speech on the economy
- Vote of no confidence in prime minister Theresa May is triggered
- Time for the Prime Minister to pursue a "World Trade" Brexit
- Brexit: What happens next? From key dates and the meaningful vote to Theresa May's future as prime minister
- Canadian Journalist: 'Our Prime Minister Has Manufactured an Open-Border Crisis'
- British Prime Minister Theresa May and British Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn condemn Derry car bomb
- Brexit: What options remain following Prime Minister's historic Commons defeat?
- Colm McCarthy: 'It's time for UK to use its get-out-of-jail-free card'
- Dakotas over Duxford event to mark 75th anniversary of D-Day
- Dakotas over Duxford event to mark 75th anniversary of D-Day landings
- Five Star Movement unveils plan to form EU Parliament group
- Could new NHS plan see an end to Norfolk’s ‘cruel and desperately unfair’ IVF postcode lottery?
- Brexit contingency plans: public warned not to stock up on medicines as it will 'disrupt the supply of drugs'
- 'From Cradle to Grave:' UK Gov’t to Unveil NHS Plan With $25Bn Budget Increase
- How teenage girls defied skeptics to build a new climate movement
- Medavia planning domestic Libyan flights
- How Brexit vote could have massive Grand National ramifications
Prime Minister Lists Accomplishments and Plans at Free National Movement’s First Anniversary Service of Thanksgiving have 672 words, post on znsbahamas.com at May 7, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.