CORRIE’s Simon Gregson has hit back at a fan who branded the show’s recent storyline dealing with male suicide as “unbritish”.
The 43-year-old was last night locked in a Twitter row after one viewer criticised co-star Richard Hawley for overacting – claiming he was “wailing” while filming emotional scenes.
During the heartbreaking hour-long episode last week, Corrie bosses highlighted the important issue of male suicide after Aidan Connor, played by Shayne Ward, took his own life following a secret battle with depression.
Richard gave an incredibly touching performance as he broke down in tears while playing Aidan’s devastated dad Johnny.
But one fan, John Saunderson, tweeted: “Corrie may have handled Aiden’s death sensitively but I cannot stand all the wailing and crying by Johnny.
“So unbritish and the sort of behaviour we have come to expect from in particular Arab countries.
“Definitely over the top acting.”
But Simon, who plays Steve McDonald in the ITV soap, hit back, saying (sic) : “Wow. What a total t*t you are.
“As I believe the British are a caring loving people as everybody, no matter where they are from is.
“No one is born a bad person, it’s a environment issue.”
Simon was flooded with support from fans, with his tweet receiving over 1000 ‘likes’ in just 13 hours.
One said: “I’m British and if this happened to a member of my family I don’t think I’d ever stop crying! Who the F is this guy?”
Another commented: “Well you can tell he hasn’t got kids, I’m not a parent but one thing I do know for sure is that losing a child is a terrible ordeal and you should never go through it.
“Men do have feelings plus is doing this storyline that’s what Corrie are trying to portray.”
Richard, 62, revealed last week his personal connection to the storyline after a friend went through a very similar ordeal.
He said: “Through my own life I do have connections with the story and stories such as these.
“I have a friend who I tried to honour through this performance.
“He went through a very similar story to this.
“But it is wider than that, this stuff is going on and on a repeated level.
MOST READ IN SHOWBIZ
SuRie’s Eurovision stage invader revealed as Dr ACactivism
OVER AND OUT
UK come in 24th position after being SNUBBED by voters after stage invasion
EUR NOT SINGING ANY MORE
Eurovision invader storms stage and grabs mic during UK’s song
HAVING SOME BRIGHTON ROCK?
Katie Price’s car spotted at Prem ace’s pad amid marriage crisis
Rylan sparks concern among fans after suddenly pulling out of Eurovision
Cheryl’s divides fans with outfit as they accuse her of making rare fashion fail
“I have just got a sense of mission and wanted to do it well to honour the families of the fallen.
“I wanted us to do what we can to make a seismic change in our culture.
“I know it is going to be a harrowing watch and it is a dark story but it is a dark storyline that is trying to shine a light on something that is out there in the real world.”
- I’m a Celebrity 2021: Coronation Street’s Simon Gregson ‘signs up to go head-to-head with EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt’
- Coronation Street star ‘already training’ for Dancing on Ice 2022 as ITV ‘sign up’ actor
- Coronation Street star Alexandra Mardell flaunts toned bikini body in stunning holiday pic
- Coronation Street star Harry Visinoni shows off incredible body transformation after dropping 12kg
- Corrie Simon Gregson's life - Liam Gallagher feud, name change and wife's co-star spat
- Who is Georgia Taylor and who does she play in Coronation Street?
- Coronation Street's Georgia Taylor looks loved-up in rare snap with famous partner
- Coronation Street’s Kate Spencer reveals her TWO secret jobs as she prepares to leave soap – and they’re super inspiring
- Coronation Street’s Colson Smith reveals horrific trolling over his weight and acting despite 10st weight loss
- Coronation Street’s Lucy Fallon lands huge acting job with Ted Lasso star after admitting struggle to find work
- Coronation Street maneater Maria Connor’s many lovers and what happened to them next
- Coronation Street spoilers: Tyrone death fears, Ray attempted murder and shock exit
- Coronation Street's Jacob Hay star James Jack Ryan has a famous soap sister
- Coronation Street exit for Johnny Connor as he sacrifices himself to save Jenny?
- Metal star and mental health advocate Dani Winter-Bates: ‘How a sub culture hate attack led me to Coronation Street’
- Coronation Street’s Abi Franklin killed amid violent revenge plot?
- Coronation Street’s Sally Dynevor straps her skates on and hits the rink after signing up to Dancing On Ice
- Coronation Street fans convinced Imran Habeeb slept with Abi Franklin – and she’ll be pregnant
Coronation Street star Simon Gregson hits back at fan who called acting during Aidan suicide storyline ‘unBritish’ have 823 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 12, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.