Claire Williams launched a passionate defence of her Williams team’s driver line-up for the new Formula One campaign as the British outfit unveiled the car they hope will fire them back up the grid this season.
Lance Stroll, 19, whose career has been bankrolled by his fashion billionaire father Lawrence and Sergey Sirotkin, the 22-year-old Russian rookie who will bring £12million in sponsorship to the team, are due to form the sport’s most inexperienced line-up this year.
Sirotkin beat Robert Kubica – the one-time grand prix winner whose career was curtailed by a rally crash in 2011 – to partner Stroll this term.
But following suggestions that their line-up had been determined purely by money, Williams, speaking at the Oxfordshire outfit’s launch in London on Thursday evening, insisted they have the right men in the car.
“We would only put talented drivers in our car,” deputy team principal Williams said. “This is a dangerous business and we are not going to put someone in just because they come with money.
“Our decision-making process is so much more complex than just because a driver has cash, and it would be incredibly naïve for anyone to make the statement to say we needed a pay driver.
“The vocab used around pay drivers is wrong, inappropriate and unnecessary, and it puts negativity round a driver that we just should not be doing in this sport anymore.
“We don’t make these decisions lightly and if we had any doubt over our line-up we certainly would not be putting a driver in our car.”
Williams, who have won 16 combined team and driver titles, finished a distant fifth in the constructors’ championship last season, and have failed to win a race in nearly six years.
But Paddy Lowe, the British engineer who left Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes-winning team last year to join Williams, is hopeful they have made the right moves over the winter to make real progress.
“We feel we have made some really good steps with the new car,” Lowe added. “We are trying to achieve an element of step change and not just progression.
“We were two seconds a lap slower than the front-runners last year, and that is something we would like to close up considerably.
“We were looking for a step change, and I hope we have delivered a strong element of that in this car.”
Williams follow American team Haas as the second team to launch their new challenger. Hamilton is due to take the wraps off the Mercedes he hopes will fire him to a fifth championship at Silverstone next Thursday.
The season gets under way in Melbourne on March 25.
- Sebastian Vettel admits Mercedes ‘more at ease’ with their car than Ferrari ahead of F1 season opener
- Lewis Hamilton odds-on to win new F1 season with Mercedes all-but certain of another Constructors’ Championship
- Maisie Williams’ Marvel horror The New Mutants locks down August release after string of major delays
- Russell hopes for testing before 2020 F1 season starts
- New F1 podcast: Is It Just Me?
- F1 2020 race calendar: What is full schedule for Formula One season?
- F1 2020 new rules, grid changes and predictions for new season with Lewis Hamilton favourite
- Renault eyeing shock swoop for Sebastian Vettel from Ferrari if Daniel Ricciardo quits at end of season
- Behind Daniel Ricciardo’s tumultuous season at Renault
- F1 salaries for 2020 reveal Lewis Hamilton is top earner on £42m ahead of rivals Vettel, Ricciardo and LeClerc
- Sebastian Vettel 'wouldn't want midfield F1 seat', says Haas boss
- Sky F1 Vodcast: Felipe Massa and Rob Smedley on Ferrari 'religion' and why team are 'completely different'
- Lewis Hamilton declares ‘cash is king’ in slamming F1 chiefs for ignoring coronavirus threat and staging Australian GP
- F1 team Mercedes to make design of new breathing aids freely available
- Ferrari F1 boss Mattia Binotto wants to make Italy ‘smile’ amid coronavirus crisis
- Lewis Hamilton fires warning shot to rivals out to get his F1 world title as he bids to match Michael Schumacher’s tally
- ‘Homeland’ Nears Renewal For Seasons 7 & 8, Season 6 Debut Pushed To January
- British GP given green light after government U-turn following talks with F1 chiefs
Claire Williams defends her drivers ahead of new F1 season have 748 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at February 15, 2018. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.