Daniel Ricciardo believes the Singapore Grand Prix will be one of Red Bull's best chances to win a race before the end of 2017, but not their only one.
Red Bull's only victory of the year so far was scored by Ricciardo in Azerbaijan. He says the next street track on the calendar presents a strong opportunity for the team.
"I believe Singapore won't be our only chance but is one of our best chances of a win in the second half of the season," said Ricciardo.
"I've started second and finished second at this track in the last two years, with fastest lap both times," he added, "so my aim this year is definitely to start on pole and try to go one better in the race."
Red Bull showed promising pace at Monza, a circuit which wasn't expected to suit them. The team qualified second and third before taking engine change penalties and Ricciardo climbed twelve places in the race to finish fourth ahead of one of the Ferraris.
The team has again selected a large quantity of the ultra-soft tyres , as it did at Spa where the compound was last used. Ricciardo and team mate Max Verstappen will have ten sets of the softest rubber available.
Ricciardo says a cautious approach is needed to begin with at the track. "You have to build up speed a little slower in the practice sessions on a street circuit like Singapore," he said. "At some point you have to start taking risks but to do that straight away doesn't make sense."
As the final leg of flyaway races begins Ricciardo is fourth in the championship, six points ahead of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen . After Singapore the championship will visit Sepang, Suzuka, the Circuit of the Americas, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Interlagos and Yas Marina.
2017 Singapore Grand Prix
- Vettel's Singapore crash is why his title hopes are over
- No point dwelling on cause of Singapore crash – Vettel
- 2017 Singapore Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Analysis: Raikkonen set to become Vettel's number two after Malaysia
- Top ten pictures from the 2017 Singapore Grand Prix
- Red Bull hit the track with F1 2020 contender as RB16 is launched
- Red Bull Racing F1 Team Signs Jehan Daruvala For Junior Program; Will Compete In Formula 2
- Red Bull signs up Daruvala for junior program
- Red Bull Sign Jehan Daruvala, Indian Set For Maiden F2 Stint
- Toto Wolff says Red Bull are Mercedes' biggest threat in F1 2020
- Testupdate 17u: Red Bull productiever dan laatste jaren
- Doornbos optimistisch: Beter begin kan Red Bull zich niet wensen
- F1 2020: Lewis Hamilton feels at his 'best' and wants closer title battle
- Ricciardo hopes team bonding can lead to F1 podiums in 2020
- F1 Testing Day One: Lewis Hamilton fastest; Ricciardo’s Renault ‘promising’
- F1 Testing, Day Two: Kimi Raikkonen with late surge but Mercedes grab headlines
- F1 Testing, Day Three: Valtteri Bottas storms clear as Mercedes shine
- F1 Testing, Day One: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes fastest
- F1 Testing 2020: The fastest laps
- F1 Testing verdict: The big talking points from 2020's Test One
- F1 Testing, Day Two AM: Sergio Perez ahead but Mercedes cause stir
- McLaren go matte with striking MCL35 car for F1 2020
- F1 Testing: Alfa Romeo, Haas and Renault reveal new cars
Singapore not Red Bull's last chance to win in '17 - Ricciardo - F1 Fanatic have 557 words, post on www.racefans.net at September 8, 2017. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.