18 persons were killed after lightning struck them across eight districts in the state. Five persons were killed in separate incidents of wall collapse in West Champaran district.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs four lakh each to the affected families.
A cyclonic circulation prevailing in the upper air (1.5 km above the surface) over Bihar caused Sunday’s storm. Also, a low pressure area has developed over the Bay of Bengal, leading to moisture incursion in Bihar causing rainfall.
“Several parts of Bihar are expected to receive rainfall and witness thunderstorms till May 30,” said S.K. Patel, meteorologist at the Patna Met office.
Even Patna witnessed 10.5 mm rainfall on Sunday over more than 30 minutes in the afternoon. The state capital has so far received 49.4 mm of pre-monsoon rainfall (from March 1 to May 31), a notch below the normal (51. 0 mm).
The state till May 28 had received 106.7 mm of rainfall, almost 50 per cent more than the normal pre-monsoon rainfall. Other places which recorded rainfall on Sunday were West Champaran, East Champaran, Darbhanga, Sitamarhi and Madhepura among others.
Gusty winds, blowing at a speed of around 50 km per hour, accompanied the rainfall, which led to the outages in Patna. A senior official at the Patna electric supply undertaking said that no major damage was done to the distribution line and power supply was restored in less than an hour.
The Patna Met office said the depression over east-central Bay of Bengal is likely become a deep depression in the next 12 hours and then into a cyclonic circulation in 24 hours. The conditions, the Met office said, were favourable for further advancement of the southwest monsoon into parts of southeast Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal in the next 24 hours.
The met office has forecast timely arrival of monsoon in Bihar. The usual monsoon arrival date for Bihar is June 10.
(With inputs from The Telegraph Calcutta)
- Snow Squalls Wreak Havoc On PA Roads, 43 Injured In Pileup
- 'Slapped for spice': how synthetic cannabis is wreaking havoc behind bars
- US baseball star Gavin Cecchini quits Canberra Cavalry as bushfire smoke wreaks havoc on sporting events
- 14 killed by storms and flooding in US South and Midwest
- Death toll rises to eight as violent storm wreaks havoc across Europe
- MacOS's 32-bit-breaking Catalina update is live, wreaking havoc on classic game collections
- Pennsylvania Storms Destroy Homes as Halloween Weather Whips Northeast
- Massive European storms kill nine as 100mph winds and torrential rain spread Christmas misery from Portugal to Italy
- Wisconsin Weather: Chance Of Rain On 4th Of July
- UK weather forecast – Christmas floods rage on as two weeks of rain to fall in the next 24 hours
- Tropical Storm Imelda: two dead and more than 1,000 rescued as floods hit Texas
- John Bel Edwards declares state of emergency; Louisiana preparing for up to 15 inches of rain by Saturday
- Tornado Damages Homes Throughout The South: Storm Kills 3
- Winter storm closes Kansas schools, causes crashes
- Christmas weather offers brief reprieve but the punishing summer is not over yet
- Terrifying moment lights go out across Japanese city as country is rocked by 6.7 magnitude quake, killing nine and burying dozens more in landslides, days after typhoon ravaged nation
- Riding the storm of inaccurate weather forecasting
- Retreating Monsoons in India Wreck Flood Havoc
Bihar: 23 killed in lightning, storm as weather wreaks havoc across state have 553 words, post on news.abplive.com at May 29, 2017. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.