The French rugby (union) league (LNR) has called an emergency meeting for Friday following the announcement of a strike by Stade Francais players, including Australian halfback Will Genia, to protest a proposed merger with Paris rivals Racing 92.
“The National Rugby League is proposing an emergency meeting between the two sports companies, the associations and representatives of the players and coaches on Friday, March 17,” the LNR said in a statement on Wednesday.
“The LNR is calling for dialogue and will monitor very closely this unprecedented matter in the history of French rugby.”
The clubs announced the surprise merger on Monday and a day later, players’ union chief Robins Tchale-Watchou said Stade Francais players were starting an “open-ended strike”, ruling out Saturday’s trip to Castres for a Top 14 match.
According to LNR regulations, Stade Francais will be docked two points while Castres be awarded five, with the threat of relegation looming over the Parisian side if they forfeited three games.
The merger has also split opinion among the authorities with the LNR saying it was in favour of the move while the French federation said it was “shocked” by the proposal.
Racing reached the final of Europe’s Champions Cup last season while Stade Francais were finalists in 2001 and 2005.
The Racing squad features Dan Carter, a world champion with New Zealand’s All Blacks, and the club presidents believe that a combination of internationals from each side would give birth to a European power.
- Hull FC 14-22 Warrington: Joe Philbin try sends Wolves back to Wembley - 5 talking points
- Shaun Edwards ready for new challenge as France defence coach
- 7 talking points from rugby league weekend as St Helens chairman has astonishing rant
- Eddie Jones right man to lead England to 2023 Rugby World Cup, says Mike Tindall
- Eddie Jones compares England heroes to Samurai warriors ahead of Rugby World Cup quarter-final showdown with Australia
- Italian PM Confirms Meeting With Macron Amid Spike in Tensions Over Migrants
- France's Front National plunged into family feud over Holocaust remarks
- Rugby World Cup: England coach Eddie Jones already under Michael Cheika’s skin as he drafts in Aussie legend ahead of quarter-final
- Blame game as the migrant Calais crisis deepens
- This week's heat wave in Europe is a preview of what the climate crisis has in store
- What is the G7? A look at the economic summit coming to France this month
- CBS4’s Frances Wang Reveals Personal & Painful Skin Condition To Help Others
- Accidental activists: the British women on the front line of the refugee crisis
- France needs to raise its game despite 3 wins in 3 games
- Germany, Spain, and France give Venezuela's Maduro ultimatum
- Migrant crisis will last ALL summer, warns Cameron as he sends sniffer dogs and fencing to Calais and opens Kent barracks to hold lorries
- #IBelieveHer protesters claim victory as Irish and Ulster rugby players who were cleared of rape are SACKED over ‘offensive and degrading’ WhatsApp messages in which they bragged about group sex
- The Latest: New Zealand rugby match canceled for mourning
France's Top 14 calls crisis rugby meeting have 487 words, post on www.theroar.com.au at March 16, 2017. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.