Amy Huschka Detroit Free Press
Published 11:30 AM EST Jan 17, 2019
A 55-year-old man was killed in a rollover car crash Thursday night on I-94 in St. Clair Shores, just north of the Wayne County/Macomb County line.
Around 6:45 p.m., Michigan State police responded to a crash on eastbound I-94 at 9 Mile Road. An early investigation revealed that the driver of a Buick had been driving erratically for a couple miles before the crash.
In a series of tweets, MSP said the car struck the concrete pillar underneath Stephens Road and caught fire.
An autopsy is scheduled for Friday morning to try to determine if a medical episode preceded the crash. The driver’s family has been notified, though his identity has not been released to the public.
No other vehicles were involved in the crash, and the driver was the lone occupant of his vehicle.
More on freep.com:
Driver that killed Northville family had .306 alcohol level
Earlier in the day, a truck driver was killed when one semi-truck rammed the rear of another truck early Thursday on I-94 in Emmett Township, near Battle Creek.
Troopers said one semi-truck driven by a 40-year-old Belleville man was merging from the 11 Mile Road ramp onto the westbound lanes of the highway when it was struck in the rear by a second westbound semi and double trailer driven by a 47-year old man from Mendon, Michigan.
The wreckage then caught fire and ignited barrels of solvent, paint, epoxy and aerosol cans in the second truck.
The impact separated the cab from the second set of trailers and the Mendon driver was thrown from the wreckage and pronounced dead at the scene. The other driver was not injured, troopers said.
Battle Creek Enquirer contributed to this story.
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse's 94-year-old mother dies
- Former NFL player Cierre Wood charged with murder after 5-year-old girl dies
- 101-Year-Old Man Takes Delivery of 2010 Chevy Camaro SS Transformers Edition
- Prepare your car for Old Man Winter
- Ford Mustang completes 55 years, has been the highest selling sports coupe in the world
- Missing 9-year-old girl from west Harris County found safe
- Cam Newton makes 6-year-old's Christmas dream come true
- Sixth title in the bag for 16-year-old
- IOMTT 2018: Manx rider Dan Kneen dies after crashing in Superbike TT qualifying
- Police: Man dies after shark attack off Cape Cod