Frenchman Filippi first competed in the championship in 2014, racing a SEAT Leon 1.6T in the TC2 class with Campos Racing.
For the past two campaigns he has driven a TC1 Chevrolet Cruze for Campos, last season finishing 17th overall with a best finish of eighth at the Hungaroring, but will now switch to drive an ex-factory C-Elysee with SLR.
The 21-year-old joins Tom Chilton in being confirmed at the squad, which last year ran Mehdi Bennani to the Independents' Trophy title.
"I’m joining one of the best teams on the grid," Filippi told Motorsport.com France. "It’s a unique opportunity for me at this stage of my career.
"I looked at some options in TCR and Blancpain among others, [but] work eventually paid off and I’m very happy with my situation for the upcoming season. Even though WTCC is going through a few hardships, it’s still a very high-level championship, with good media coverage and high-calibre drivers.
"The Citroen C-Elysee has clearly been the best car for three years; it was dominant as early as its very first race in the championship. Of course, official teams will have the means to develop their cars more quickly, but the Citroen car still is a safe bet.
"When you want to be a professional driver, you need to be able to adapt to a car as early as the first few laps. I’ll be a bit short of experience driving the C-Elysee at the start of the season, but I’m counting on my experience from the last three years to get the best out of myself and the car.
"It’s a new challenge for me, and a great opportunity."
2017 WTCC grid so far:
|Honda JAS||Honda Civic||
|Volvo Polestar||Volvo S60||Thed Bjork|
|Sebastien Loeb Racing||Citroen C-Elysee||
|Munnich Motorsport||Citroen C-Elysee||Rob Huff|
|Zengo Motorsport||Honda Civic||Aurelien Panis|
- Rally legend Sebastien Loeb tests M-Sport 2022 WRC Puma in Spain
- Cauchi to join Kelly Grove Racing for 2022
- TCS becomes title sponsor of Jaguar Formula E racing team
- Double F1 champion Hakkinen to partner Bottas in Race of Champions
- Matt Stone Racing confirms Hazelwood deal
- GMS Racing tabs Ty Dillon for Cup 2022 ride - NASCAR Talk | NBC Sports
- Breeders’ Cup Classic Is Loaded Ahead Of 2021 Race At Del Mar
- Racing braced for Cheltenham Festival fallout if horses from Gordon Elliott stables win
- Alonso's 32 new rivals: Who's who on the 2017 Indy 500 entry list · RaceFans
- Davidson to retire from racing after Bahrain WEC finale
- Chadwick, Powell join Richard Mille for Bahrain WEC rookie test
- Drivers to watch in Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000 in 2017
- French presidential election: Who's who in the race to replace Macron?
- Sen. Annette Taddeo Throws Hat In Race For Governor
- Education, Trump in the spotlight in tight Virginia governor race with 2 weeks to Election Day
- Man Utd joined by Newcastle in Ousmane Dembele transfer race ‘as Barcelona give him ONE-MONTH deadline to sign new deal’
- Kirsten Gillibrand, Long a Champion of Women, Finds the Nation Joining Her
- UK must step on the gas to join race for an electric future
Filippi joins Sebastien Loeb Racing for WTCC 2017 have 529 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 3, 2017. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.