Moto2 SAG Team rider Luis Salom died following a fall in Free Practice 2 for this weekend’s Catalunya Grand Prix at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, reports MotoGP. Salom was 24.
Salom lost control and fell in the fast Turn 12 complex, however, Crash.net reports that it is not believed that any other riders were involved in the incident. The cause of the fall remains unclear.
Two medical cars, two ambulances and the medical helocopter were sent to the site of the accident to treat Salom’s injuries. The session was red flagged with less than 25 minutes to go.
Salom was transferred by road to the nearby Hospital General de Catalunya for further treatment. There, despite having undergone surgery, he succumbed to his injuries at 4:55 p.m. local time.
Salom had been competing in world championship motorcycle racing since 2009, finishing second in the Moto3 World Championship in 2012 and riding to three podium finishes during his career in Moto2.
This is the first motorcycle grand prix fatality since Marco Simoncelli in 2011, and the second ever Moto2 death after the loss of Shoya Tomizawa in 2010, notes Crash.net.
This comes a week after a different Moto2 racing incident in Aragon, Spain, where several riders were engulfed in a fireball but ultimately escaped unharmed.
- Lorenzo on pole for Ducati at home Catalunya MotoGP
- Former MotoGP rider West fails another dope test
- Bottas on top in first Spanish GP practice
- Stingray dies in touch tank three weeks after SeaQuest aquarium’s opening in Folsom
- Marquez hopes home comforts can bolster title lead
- Dominant Marquez on pole after Malaysia storm
- Fenati suspended by Italian federation, licence revoked
- Marc Marquez aims for magnificent seven
- The world's most talked-about cycling brand has finally come to America, but insiders say it faces fierce headwinds
- Lorenzo pulls out of Thai GP after crash
- Hamilton can land KO blow at typhoon threatened Japanese GP
- How Citi Bike Started A Transportation–And Advertising–Revolution
- Miller grabs surprise Argentina pole after risky tyre gamble
- Anatomy of a PR response: How Starbucks is handling its Philadelphia crisis
- PETA urges investigation of Folsom SeaQuest aquarium, says videos show inhumane treatment
- As electric scooter use increases, so do trips to the ER
- Can Livestrong Survive Lance Armstrong and a Doping Scandal?
- Meet the mad geniuses building personal flying machines
Moto2 Rider Dies In Catalunya Grand Prix Practice Incident have 366 words, post on jalopnik.com at June 2, 2016. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.