Changing weather conditions mixed up the MotoGP race at Misano today, with the track going from dry to wet and back to dry again. Championship hopeful Jorge Lorenzo wiped out switching back to dry tires, sending him off track and severely hurting him in the points.
This crash meant that Lorenzo went unclassified for the race, dropping him down 23 points below Yamaha teammate and championship leader Valentino Rossi in series championship points.
Rossi now sits at 247 points, with Lorenzo trailing with 224. There are just 5 races left in the championship. It’s not over yet, but this certainly didn’t help.
Lorenzo initially was in the lead for this race before wet conditions forced everyone to pit for rain tires. Then a great battle broke out between Lorenzo and Honda rider Marc Márquez, with Rossi gaining fast on the battling duo.
Unfortunately for Yamaha, Rossi waited to pit until after Lorenzo came in, and Lorenzo waited just a bit too long to switch back to dry tires. Both riders lost time time on wet tires under drying conditions, handing Marquez the win.
On his first lap back out on cold, dry tires, Lorenzo had his race-ending wipeout. Ouch!
Marquez then gained a little bit of ground on the Yamaha duo in the championship points. He sits at 184 points for the season thus far. I doubt we’ll see another Marquez championship this year unless Rossi and Lorenzo both just disappear into thin air, but it’s worth noting.
GIF via race video.
Contact the author at [email protected].
- Jorge Lorenzo: A champion bids adieu
- Jorge Lorenzo: The retiring MotoGP icon's career in numbers
- MotoGP: Three Time World Champion Jorge Lorenzo Announces Retirement
- Triple MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo retires
- Three-Time MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo Announces Retirement
- MotoGP Raceweek: Retiring Lorenzo plans to party before deciding on next move
- MotoGP Raceweek: Marvellous Marquez secures team title for Repsol Honda as Lorenzo bids farewell
- Marquez sluit seizoen winnend af, Lorenzo dertiende bij afscheid
- MotoGP Rider On Retirement: ‘Is It Really Worth It To Keep Suffering?’
- MotoGP Raceweek: World champion Marquez targeting 400 points – Valencia Grand Prix in numbers
- Valencia MotoGP: Quartararo takes honours in practice session
- Marquez Continues His Domination Of MotoGP With A Triple Crown
- MotoGP: Marc Marquez Takes 12th Season Win In Valencia GP As Honda Bags Constructors' Title
- Marc Marquez Wins Season-Ending MotoGP At Valencia
- World Para Athletics Championships: High-Jumpers Sharad Kumar, Mariyappan Thangavelu Qualify For 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- 6 things we learned from the County Championship as Yorkshire, Essex and Lancashire all win
- 6 things we learned from the County Championship as Somerset win for the first time and Rory Burns scores big runs
- Texas Championship Saturday roundup: North Shore wins on Hail Mary
Jorge Lorenzo Forced To Play Catch-Up In MotoGP Championship After Crash At Misano have 463 words, post on jalopnik.com at September 13, 2015. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.