JOHANNESBURG (AP) A review board has up to four months to decide whether and when Oscar Pistorius will be released from prison into house arrest, a spokesman for South Africa’s justice ministry said on Thursday.
Two days before he was due to leave prison, Pistorius’ early release was put on hold Wednesday by South Africa’s justice department, which sent his case back to a parole review board. The athlete’s release was approved eight months into his five-year prison sentence, when he should have served 10 months before even being considered for release, said justice department spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga.
Pistorius, the double-amputee Olympic runner, was convicted last year of manslaughter for killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in 2013.
Pistorius family spokeswoman Anneliese Burgess said in an email that no decisions have been made yet by the family.
”The family will take their time to calmly consider the way forward,” Burgess wrote.
News of the postponed release came to the Steenkamp family as they held a beachside commemoration for Reeva Steenkamp on Wednesday, what would have been her 32nd birthday, said Jacqui Mofokeng, a member of the women’s group who petitioned the justice minister to delay Pistorius’ release.
”The mood changed,” said Mofokeng, who was also part of a group of women who accompanied the Steenkamps during the trial. ”They sent a number of messages to individuals to say, `Thank you very much. This is a better birthday than last year.”’
Imray reported from Cape Town.
- The American Meditation Institute Inaugurates National Conscience Month to Instruct and Inspire Humanity on How to Let Their Conscience be Their Guide in Making Choices
- No one called J&K ex-CMs ‘anti-national’, UT admin will decide on their release: Amit Shah
- Nigeria orders release of detained activist, Omoyele Sowore
- iPhone X Release: The Human Cost of Apple's Most Expensive iPhone Ever
- Brandon Ford Holds the Lead as 2019 New Ford Retail Sales Volume Race Heads Into Final Month
- All but six political leaders in Jammu and Kashmir to be released: Sources
- No one in govt called ex-JK CMs 'anti-national', decision on their release by UT admin: Amit Shah
- Man who was mistakenly released early from prison 13 years ago and has been a law-abiding ever since pleads for presidential commutation after feds demanded he return for 16 months
- The Last of Us 2 release date, price, trailers, news and rumors
- Meghan Markle's friend Janina Gavankar releases original photo she took of her with Prince Harry and Archie after social media speculation over whether the Duchess had been Photoshopped
- US releases searing footage of bombardment killing 25 Iranian-backed militia in Iraq as Hezbollah vows 'very tough' retaliation
- May appeals to Iranian President to release British mother jailed over 'spying' claims as the leaders hold talks at UN in New York
- Rana Sanaullah case: ANF says will appeal 'disappointing' bail decision at SC
- No one called ex-JK CMs ‘anti-national’, decision on their release by UT admin: Amit Shah
- No one called ex-JK CMs 'anti-national', decision on their release by UT admin: Amit Shah
- North Korea releases macho footage of Kim Jong-un riding a galloping white horse up a sacred mountain to visit his 'father's birth place' and sitting around a campfire with his wife
- Nigeria orders release of Sowore and Dasuki after court orders: attorney general
- Nigeria releases Sowore and Dasuki after AG orders bail
Decision on Pistorius’ release may take up to 4 months have 537 words, post on www.foxsports.com at August 20, 2015. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.