In September 2013, E McNeill won the Open Call Grand Prize at the Oculus Rift VR Jam with Ciess, a hacking game that evokes Johnny Mnemonic with its virtual reality-based vision of the internet. Yesterday, McNeill announced that the concept will become a full release in Darknet, an Oculus Rift exclusive. Unlike the William Gibson short story, Darknet doesn’t include a cybernetically enhanced dolphin hacker addicted to heroin, but it still looks awesome.
McNeill describes Darknet as a VR strategy game that casts the player as an elite hacker in cyberspace. You’ll zip around a network in a disembodied, first-person perspective, breaking codes, unleashing viruses, and slicing through layers of security to get your hands on valuable data. In short, you’ll feel just like a real cyberpunk hacker, only without all the boring computer science.
If you want to get a feel for it, you can download both the Oculus Rift and desktop version of Ciess on McNeill’s website . Darknet looks very much like that prototype, only prettier. It’s much more involved, but if you were a fan of the hacking mini-games in Deus Ex: Human Revolution , you should be all over Darknet.
McNeill lists Darknet’s release date as “Oculus Rift Launch,” making it one of the few launch titles for the device we know about (along with Valkyrie ). Its price is currently set at $10-$20.
If you’re interested in the game and want to watch it evolve throughout development, McNeill says that the /r/darkcom sub-Reddit will be treated as an ongoing Ask Me Anything.
- Google scraps plans for standalone VR headset to take on Oculus Rift: Report
- The Future of Oculus Rift, According to the Man Who Invented It
- Oculus Rift now officially has the one thing that made HTC Vive better
- Here's every Oculus Rift launch game you can play today
- HTC Vive vs. Oculus Rift: The Virtual Reality Comparison We Had To Make
- I Conducted One Of The Final Pre-Facebook Oculus Rift Interviews Ever
- One Wild, Occasionally Nauseating Week Of Virtual Reality With The Oculus Rift
- Oculus Rift passes HTC Vive in the Steam hardware survey for the first time
- Oculus Rift vs Microsoft HoloLens
- Oculus Rift 2: release date, news and rumors
- Oculus Rift Exclusivity Debate Heats Up Over
- How PlayStation VR is better, and worse, than Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
- Palmer Luckey is already thinking about Oculus Rift 2
- The $600 price of the Oculus Rift is worth it for this level of awesome
- Superhot VR coming exclusively to Oculus Rift
- Oculus Rift Touch controllers are about to get 53 times better
- The consumer-ready Oculus Rift will launch in public beta by summer 2015
- The Oculus Rift's 2016 launch might be a problem (Tomorrow Daily 174)
Former VR Jam winner Darknet to launch with Oculus Rift have 437 words, post on www.pcgamer.com at March 7, 2014. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.