The all-new MINI has been officially revealed, following a leak from several hours ago.
Despite being called a “MINI”, the new model is 98mm longer, 44mm wider and 7mm taller than the outgoing generation, while its wheelbase has been stretched by 42mm to 2495mm. In addition, the track widths have been enlarged by 42mm front / 34 mm rear. As a result of the increased dimensions (3821mm length, 1727mm width, 1414mm height), the new MINI not only offers more interior cabin room but also 211 liters of cargo capacity, a significant increase of 30 percent.
MINI says the new model is “completely new from the ground up” yet its design hasn’t been changed that much compared to the previous model, albeit with a few hints of the Rocketman concept . Upon launch it will be available with a choice of three turbocharged Euro 6 compliant engines featuring stop/start technology.
The base Cooper is powered by a 3-cylinder, 1.5-liter outputting 134 bhp (100 kW) and a peak torque of 162 lb-ft (170 lb-ft with overboost). In this configuration the new MINI returns 62.8 mpg UK (52.2 mpg US or 4.4 liters / 100 km) with 105 g/km of CO2 emissions.
Up next is the 1.5-liter diesel producing 114 bhp (85 kW) and 199 lb-ft (269 Nm) in the Cooper D which will return 80.7 mpg UK (67.1 mpg US or 3.5 liters / 100 km) with corresponding CO2 emissions of 92 g/km.
The Cooper S makes use of a 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine rated at 189 bhp (141 kW) and 206 lb-ft (221 lb-ft with overboost). In this configuration, the new MINI will return 49.6 mpg UK (41.3 mpg US or 5.6 liters / 100 km) and have 133 g/km of CO2 emissions.
These engines will send power to the front axle through a standard six-speed manual gearbox or an optional six-speed automatic. There will also be a sport version of the auto with quicker shift times and paddle shifters.
Engine offerings will be expanded sometime next year with the introduction of the lower-spec One and One D, as well as a more powerful diesel in the Cooper SD and the flagship JCW derivative.
The new MINI will be available with optional Variable Damper Control which will offer two settings: Comfort and Sport. 15-inch alloys will be standard on the Cooper and Cooper D while the S gets 16-inch rims. For more money clients can configure their car with various alloys in sizes of up to 18 inches.
Riding on BMW’s UKL1 platform, the 2014 MINI is the first car in its segment to have full LED headlights and taillights. The upper-spec versions pack a generous 8.8-inch infotainment system operable via a choice of two controllers similar to BMW’s iDrive. The cabin has gained better materials and can be optionally fitted with lots of assistance systems and a tilt adjustment feature for the 60/40 rear bench.
UK pricing kicks off at 15,300 GBP for the standard Cooper, continues to 16,450 GBP for the Cooper D and ends at 18,650 GBP for the Cooper S. The initial range consisting of three versions is scheduled to hit the market next spring.
Gallery: 2014 MINI officially revealed with three engines and gearboxes
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4 and 4S models officially revealed [video]
- US officials reveal there aren't enough spare parts for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
- California bullet train officials reveal ethics probe and OK plan for L.A. Union Station
- 2020 Hyundai i10 Revealed With Upscale Design, Better Interior
- Maruti Suzuki Swift Diesel Variants Discontinued: Officially Removed From Website As Well
- After Strictly's Kelvin Fletcher and Oti Mabuse enjoyed TWO late-night outings, sexpert Tracey Cox reveals why physical closeness and body transformations lead so many people to date (or cheat!) on TV talent shows
- Audi Q2 baby crossover goes official, finally (128 pics)
- Volkswagen Polo BS6 Petrol Mileage Figures Revealed: Compared To Its Segment Rivals In India
- 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Interior Fully Revealed In New Spy Shots
- 'He cowardly took her life and our unborn baby': Grieving husband breaks down as he reveals his nurse wife was pregnant when she was murdered by Canadian gunman who killed 23 during rampage
- Two offices in Parliament are sealed off after health minister Nadine Dorries catches coronavirus: Tory MP reveals her aide is also infected as she sends message to colleagues saying 'I can't remember every person I was in contact with last week'
- Amy Schumer reveals she has officially changed her son Gene Attell's name after realizing it sounded like 'genital'
- Trump can't stop putting his top public health officials in tough spots
- How we became Britain's first transgender mum and dad: Ex-Army captain and actor reveal their astonishing full story and say 'we walked through fire to have Millie'
- Camo’d VW Nivus Crossover “Coupe” Revealed For Brazil
- Non-Blackwing Cadillac CT4-V Not Getting Manual Gearbox
- 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 gets 500-hp 4.0-liter engine, six-speed manual
- Cooper launches quickest ever Mini, and baboons set loose on a Hyundai hatchback
2014 MINI officially revealed with three engines and gearboxes have 794 words, post on www.motor1.com at November 18, 2013. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.