Fernando Alonso says Kimi Raikkonen has had a strong start to the season with Lotus.
Alonso, who trails Raikkonen by six points after three races, said: "Kimi is having a fantastic start to the season and driving maybe better than anyone."
Sebastian Vettel leads the drivers' championship at the moment but Alonso believes "championship positions are not really important" at this stage.
"But at the same time, it?������s not a big surprise to see Lewis where he is," said Alonso. "He is one of the best drivers on the grid right now and last year he put McLaren in a competitive position and this year he is doing it with Mercedes."
"We know the Red Bull is probably the strongest car," he added.
Alonso believes Red Bull did not fully exploit their potential last week: "In China, on race pace, Sebastian was quickest in all the stints, but had chosen a strange strategy for qualifying."
Ferrari's Shanghai victory does not automatically make them the team to beat according to Alonso: "In Australia we were clearly not the quickest and in Malaysia we struggled a bit."
"We need to keep improving and to be a little bit faster. There are some new pieces for this race and new components coming to Barcelona and Monaco. So hopefully in the next month and a half, we can be at the level of the best cars."
However he was relieved at scoring his first win in nine months: "I was very happy, as not winning for a while is a very difficult matter to deal with."
"It was eleven or twelve races that we had not won, even if we were consistently on the podium, but there are many other drivers with super cars who have not won a race in the last 50 or 60 races. However, we need to be consistently on the podium if we want to fight for the championship."
2013 Bahrain Grand Prix
- 2013 Bahrain Grand Prix fans' video gallery
- Vettel wins Bahrain Driver of the Weekend poll
- Bahrain rated best race of the year so far
- Bahrain was an "aberration", says Vergne
- Alonso's DRS failure the first of its kind – Ferrari
Image ?�?� Lotus/LAT
- IndyCar: Ericsson Lands Drive, CEO Hopeful Alonso Will Enter 2019 Indy500 Race
- IndyCar: Alonso, McLaren Confirm 2019 Indy 500 Entry, Details Unclear
- Fernando Alonso Pondering Formula E Switch As F1 Exit Nears
- Raikkonen signs with Citroen rally team
- F1’s Raikkonen confirms sabbatical year in 2010
- Better than ever, Chris Paddack beats Mets
- Alonso pledges to finish career with Ferrari
- IndyCar a 'strong possibility' for McLaren, says Brown
- IndyCar’s new aero kits get 1st laps on 1 ½-mile oval
- Massa makes successful return to F1 after crash
- Ferrari’s fast F1 start reduced to late-season flop
- Side Kicks: I love it when a plan comes together
- Ravens lose Flacco, beat Dolphins 40-0 behind defense (Oct 26, 2017)
- Dolphins come crashing down to Earth with lopsided shutout loss to Ravens
- Ravens rout Dolphins 40-0 as Flacco suffers concussion
- FAC: Everton 1-0 (a.e.t.) Liverpool
- Hamilton’s 4th title ranks him among F1’s great drivers
- Mexico City hosts F1 grand prix 1 month after earthquake
Alonso: Raikkonen 'driving better than anyone' · RaceFans have 540 words, post on www.racefans.net at April 18, 2013. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.