Reposted from the TOCA Web site <http://www.toca.com.au> Morris closes on 2nd title in three years. BMW Motorsport driver Paul Morris moved a step closer to winning a second BOC Gases Australian Super Touring Championship title in three years with a crushing victory in the seventh and penultimate round of the 1997 series at Lakeside in Queensland on Sunday (October 26). The 29 year old from Queensland’s Gold Coast, who previously won the title in 1995, took the chequered flag in both races at Lakeside, ahead of BMW Motorsport team-mates Geoff Brabham and Craig Baird. For Morris, the results left him with a remarkable record of nine wins from the past ten championship races on the 2.4km Lakeside track. Morris’ performance left him with a commanding 21 point lead in the championship going into the final round at Amaroo Park in Sydney on November 9. The results at Lakeside also assured BMW of the drivers championship, with arch rival ORIX Audi Sport Australia team-mates Cameron McConville and 1996 title holder Brad Jones dropping out of contention. McConville finished fourth in the opening heat at Lakeside, behind the BMW Motorsport trio, and sixth in the second race after temporarily driving off the… Read full this story
- Confronted over abuse, California is bringing 116 kids home from faraway programs. Counties are scrambling
- Enjoy the shops - but not too much! London Mayor Sadiq Khan tells Christmas shoppers to keep off public transport and wear facemasks at all times as they splurge £1.7bn on the High Street 'before capital plunges into Tier 3'
- Storm Gail – ‘Worst-in-a-decade’ storm ‘kills six’ and sees a THOUSAND crashes as 3ft of snow dumped on northeast
- Minnesota suspends liquor licenses for 3 restaurants for coronavirus safety violations
- 100 Best Movies of 2020, According to Critics
- D-Day for London: Capital's economy faces 'killer blow' if plunged into Tier 3 at crunch Wednesday meeting, say business leaders after new Covid spike is blamed on Kent prison outbreak
- Huge crowds of Christmas shoppers fill UK high streets despite coronavirus fears
- Your essential guide to the vaccine roll-out: Jab venues, how you'll get your appointment and who gets priority
- President in the pews: DC churches offer Biden options
ASTC: Lakeside report Rnd.7 have 365 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 17, 1997. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.